How the pictures were made

I carried the same equipment in Africa and the Galapagos. My primary camera was a Canon A1, with a Vivitar 28-210 zoom lens. Almost all the color pictures were taken with this camera and lens. My secondary camera was a Canon AE Program, with a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens. I mostly used it for black and white pictures, though I would sometimes swap lenses on the two cameras. Both lenses had UV filters. I also had a focal-length doubler, giving me a range up to 420mm, but I hardly ever used it. All the pictures are hand-held.

On the Istanbul to Cairo trip, I carried my trusty Canon A1 and Vivitar 28-210 lens. I also took a Kodak DC120 digital camera with three memory cards, of 4, 15, and 40MB. Jpeg compressed images occupy about 200K on the memory cards.

All the black and white pictures were shot on Kodak Tri-X film. All the color non-digital pictures were shot on slide film, mostly Kodachrome 64, though I also used Kodachrome 25 in high light situations (such as in the Sahara). In low light situations I used Ektachrome 200 or 400.

All the non-digital pictures were scanned on a Microtek ScanMaker 25t plus. The slides were mostly scanned at 1111 dpi, and 30 bits per pixel. (A few I scanned at a higher resolution and cropped.) The black and white negatives were scanned at 1950 dpi (the limit of my scanner) and 8 bits per pixel.

I used Ulead Photoimpact to aquire the images, to touch them up (removing dusk specks and scanning artifacts) and to adjust the color and contrast, etc. For the web, I resampled the pictures down to be no more than 600 pixels wide. I used Photoimpact's jpeg SmartSaver to make the file sizes as small as possible without sacraficing too much image quality.

Thumbnails and .html files were generated with Photoimpact's web extensions, and then heavily modified by hand using vi.

All the backgrounds, icons, and buttons were made by me using PhotoImpact.


This page was last updated 24 October 1998
Copyright © 1997, 1998 John Oswalt
Comments to: jao@jao.com